NOTE: Follow these instructions only if you downloaded a Keyman Package. These are labelled on the download pages with “Keyman Package” or “Windows (Keyman)”.
All Keyman packages for Roman orthographies include at least the font “Aboriginal Sans”. During the installation procedure, read the “Font Licence Agreement” for the names of the fonts in the package. These will be installed automatically into your computer and be ready for use at the end of the installation process.
On any of the keyboard download pages on this site, download the keyboard you want to use by finding “Keyman Package” in the download table. By clicking on this link, the Save File process will begin. Remember where you save it! (the desktop is always a convenient place). I’ve outlined the install process in detail, but it’s essentially clicking Next, Next...
- The file is zipped, so the first step is to unzip the key-layout. The contents should include an .exe file. This is the installer for the key layout and fonts.
- In Windows XP, right click the .zip file and choose Extract All... from the pop-up menu. This will open the Extraction Wizard.
- On the first screen of the wizard, click Next to continue.
- On the second screen, you may select the location where you want to extract the files, it is fine to use the default location the wizard provides. Click Next to continue.
- The unzipping process is now complete. Make sure the check-box Show extracted files is checked, and click Finish. The folder with the keyboard layout installation files will now be open.
- Each keyboard has been “zipped” to reduce the file size and assure a clean download. If you do not have an unzip utility on your computer, an internet search should turn up several free downloads. If you need help with unzipping the key layouts, please email me.
- Double click on the .exe file to install the key layout and fonts. If a security warning pops up, select Run.
- From the first screen, Tavultesoft Keyman Setup, click Install.
- On the Welcome to Setup screen, click Next.
- On the Select Edition to Install, choose the free Home Use Edition if you will be working from your own computer, and Standard Edition if it’s an institutional or business computer you will be working on. Click Next to continue.
- Read the Licence Details, accept the licence, and click Next.
- Read the Readme Details, and click Next.
- The next screen is the Installation Directory. Unless you want to change this, click Next.
- On the Installation Options screen, make sure all of the boxes are checked, then click Next.
- Some further information may follow.
- On the Setup Complete screen, make sure the “Start Keyman Immediately” and “Start Keyman with Windows” boxes are checked, then click Finish.
- When Keyman is running, you’ll see a “K” icon, , at the bottom right of the screen (in the System Tray). As there may have been several related keyboards installed on your system, right-click the “K” icon and then left-click Keyman Configuration... from the pop-up menu.
- There will be a list of the keyboard layouts available for use. Make sure that there is only a check-mark in the box beside the keyboard you want to use. Once done, click OK. The keyboard may be listed under either its Native, English, or French name. Please check through the list for alternate names and/or spellings.
- When you left click on the “K” you can switch between the keyboard layouts you have installed. If you right click on the “K”, you can access Keyman’s configuration screen.